Social Icons

twitter google plus linkedin rss feed

Pages

18.8.11

Creating a Windows Forms application for SharePoint 2010

In my usual style, I think I have stumbled upon each and every possible problem before I could execute my application.

What with MOSS2007 it was bliss and cheerful laughter has become in SharePoint 2010 a task that took me at least an hour… And I was lucky because in my usual style again I am really late to 2010 and most of the problems have been solved and talked about in forums…

Well, I’ll write here my experience, so I wont forget the necessary steps next time hopefully.


I added the Microsoft.SharePoint.dll as usual to the references and started coding. I wrote my 3 lines application (I just wanted a tool to help me code) and hit F5.

“The type or namespace name 'SharePoint' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?)”

Well, I was not missing anything, the problem was that you have to target the solution to the .Net Framework 3.5…

image

That was easy. There are a couple of places where you can find that. OK, F5 again.

“The Web application at http://localhost could not be found. Verify that you have typed the URL correctly. If the URL should be serving existing content, the system administrator may need to add a new request URL mapping to the intended application”


- Oh come on! It’s there! Why can’t you find it? + Because you haven’t targeted me to 64 bits and I am not running natively. - Oops, sorry for that. + It’s OK, you just have to read my error codes, they really point you in the right direction.

image

This one was a bit trickier. But after changing that I happily clicked F5 again and… Surprise!

“The Web application at http://localhost could not be found. Verify that you have typed the URL correctly. If the URL should be serving existing content, the system administrator may need to add a new request URL mapping to the intended application”


Yep, same error again… And I couldn’t find more info on the internet… What if it’s a permission problem?
image

Finally I started the Visual Studio as an administrator and it worked. Finally!

5.8.11

Hiding the Scrollbars in the SharePoint 2010 Web Parts

After deploying the first alpha version of our solution in SharePoint 2010 I realized that my Silverlight web parts were showing ugly scrollbars. I noticed that if I change the height and width to auto they will disappear… but then my web part will not have the right size…
I read this post: http://blog.benfox.info/?p=11 and, as you could have guessed, I went for the inelegant approach.
Then I found that the javascript code was in a picture… how inconvenient… and then I thought “I’ll show everyone that I can be as dull in SharePoint 2010 as I have always been in SharePoint 2007” Why not creating a post about that?
<script type="text/javascript">

 function HideScrollBars()
 {
 document.getElementById('WebPartWPQ2').style.overflowX = "hidden";
 document.getElementById('WebPartWPQ2').style.overflowY = "hidden";

 document.getElementById('WebPartWPQ3').style.overflowX = "hidden";
 document.getElementById('WebPartWPQ3').style.overflowY = "hidden";
 }

_spBodyOnLoadFunctionNames.push("HideScrollBars")</script>
And after struggling with the new Content Editor Web Part for at least 15 minutes I finally managed to hide the vertical and the horizontal scrollbars in my web parts.
Now I can proudly send a picture of the site in the SharePoint 2010 view.

--- Update --- I have changed the web part code so we don't need to use this crappy javascript code.